Tuesday, May 18, 2010

G'Day Mate (part 2)

I served the leftovers and a couple of beers and they ate as we visited and learned more about them.  They were tired from their previous crazy days of travel and soon settled in to watch American Idol.  David was particularly interested in Idol and had great conversations with Haley about each of the contestants.  Immediately after Idol was over, David and the girls went to sleep and Andre took a shower and then stayed up and visited with Travis and I for a couple of hours.  They kept waiting for the call to advise them that someone had withdrawn from the tournament, but it hadn't come yet.

We talked about family and golf.  And golf.  And golf.  We talked about Tiger Woods and about life as a PGA pro.  Through my yawns, we learned that he had four kids of his own (thanks to Google, I already knew that) and we learned about a nagging injury that took him away from the sport for 3 years.

We all eventually turned in for the night and Travis and I closed the bedroom door behind us and laughed at the thought of what was going on.  I'm not one for sudden and unexpected plans, and this one topped the cake.  I can promise you that when I woke up Tuesday morning, I had no idea that I would be hosting two complete strangers in my home that evening.  Life is full of little adventures.

Wednesday morning came very quickly.  I got the girls up quietly since the plan was for David and Andre to sleep as long as they could and to hopefully get the expected call.  As I am preparing breakfast and packing lunches, David joined us in the kitchen for a banana and some juice and conversation that was keeping me from my morning duties.  Eventually, Travis and the girls were out the door and I was able to finish making muffins and coffee and shared some more conversation with David while Andre was still sleeping.

I had errands to run and wanted to give them space, so I left the house for a couple of hours while they stayed at home.  While I was out and about, I got another call from the PGA representative checking in to be sure that everything was running smoothly and to offer us as many tickets as we needed for the tournament.  When I grow up, I want to have her job.

I finished my errands and got back to the house about 10:00 as they were just beginning to get ready to head to the course.  There was a Pro-Am tournament that day and Andre was not playing in it, so all they could really do was go and practice.  At this point, the call still hadn't come.  They asked for a lady's opinion about Andre's outfit for the day, put our house key on their key ring, and headed for the course leaving a lingering of cologne that would last for the rest of the afternoon.

I know you're wondering.....no, they didn't make their beds.

To be continued...


1 comment:

  1. UNBELIEVABLE! That is probably the most awesome thing! I'm sure the beds were made as soon as they were out the door! You guys have fun at the tourny!!! Miss you!! PS: what's for dinner tonight?

    ReplyDelete