Saturday, May 1, 2010

Meet Faith

Yesterday was adoption day for Faith.  After buying all of our supplies the night before, I went into the classroom after school to get our new creature.  After one glance, I quickly realized that Faith was much larger than when I last saw her.  Not good.  I also quickly realized that Mrs. Gloege was scared of Faith.  Double not good.  Thankfully, a very nice teacher came to help with the transfer from the classroom cage to our way too small new cage.  Latex gloves and lots of screaming and we were good to go.

On the way home, we had to make another stop at PetSmart to upgrade Faith's condo to something much larger.  I think that we are $50 into this endeavor at this point and finding it harder and harder to turn back.  I've realized that I don't make the best decisions in life.

Once we got home, it was my turn to transfer Faith to her new condo.  We got the condo ready, but I could never have prepared myself for what was to come.  Gloved and ready, as soon as I put my hands into her cage, she belted the deepest croak that I have ever heard.  The closer I got, the more she croaked.  After doing the croak dance with her for several minutes, I went in for the catch.  Mind over matter and thinking that I could one-hand her and quickly scoop her out, I was in for a surprise.  As soon as I lifted her above the cage, she slipped out of my hand and landed on the counter....facing me.  The next hop sent her lunging right at my face and then onto the floor.  By this time, Hannah, who was supposed to be helping me, was clear across the kitchen doing her own yell with every hop.  Faith's skin is extremely slimy and after about 5 or 6 attempts of chasing her and trying to pick her up, I was finally successful.  In one swoop, I was able to cup her with both hands and throw gently place her back into her condo.  Hearts beating, adrenaline rushing, sounds of screeching and screaming, and the transfer was over.  After a few seconds of catching our breath, Hannah and I made eye contact and this is when she said.........."All hell just broke loose."

I couldn't have said it better myself, sweet girl.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I am so glad you started a blog. I am in need of some daily laughs. Seriously, you are a talented writer and I enjoy taking a glimpse at your daily adventures. You are one brave soul to take on a frog as a pet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please get me a 3 dollar fish. I am going to name it Swimmie.

    ReplyDelete